28 October 2009

My "Rough Draft" Marriage

I remember knowing it all in high school. I knew so much, I graduated, got pregnant and got married in the same year. I laugh now, but back then it wasn't too funny.

My marriage was odd. I don't know how else to describe it, and since I have a good relationship with my ex-husband I'm going to leave it at that. I had two kids in this marriage and my ex-husband ended up leaving to be with someone else.

We tried everything to make it work, but I think we were so much alike that there was no advancement in our relationship.

When we got married, we were young and had no idea that what we really wanted was to be taken care of. We didn't know how to take care of ourselves, how were we supposed to take care of each other? In the last general conference Henry B Eyring said, "The ideal God holds for us is to form families in the way most likely to lead to happiness and away from sorrow. A man and a woman are to make sacred covenants that they will put the welfare and happiness of the other at the center of their lives." I believe there wasn't enough maturity in this marriage so it ended the way that it did.

Of course at the end of any relationship, there is tension. Luckily after some hard work and communication we're at a point where we can focus on what's best for the kids.